This program provides general training for work in the various areas of private security, Canadian Border Services, Immigration, federal and provincial correctional services, by-law enforcement, Ministry of Transportation Enforcement Officers, Military Policing as well as other areas of policing.
This program will appeal to students who are self-disciplined, with a high moral character. They must have good written and oral communication skills and the ability to analyze and apply legal principles. Students must also be willing to work in diverse communities and have good health and fitness.
Job opportunities are very good and continue to grow with security-related positions increasing in the gaming industry and in the corporate and retail sector. Entry-level positions are also available in corrections, customs operations, private investigation, bylaw enforcement and the armed forces.
OSSD with the majority of courses at the College (C), University (U), University/College (M) or Open (O) level plus:
- Grade 12 English - ENG4U, ENG4C, EAE4C or EAE4U
Mature students - See Admission Procedures for details.
Students will be required to complete 2 physical fitness courses (PFP108-Lifestyle & Management I and PFP208 - Lifestyle & Management II) which require the applicant to assess their ability to participate.
Because all law enforcement agencies have designated hiring criteria (that may include physical and medical restrictions) prospective students are expected to investigate the specific qualifications to determine their eligibility for potential employment. Students should be aware that persons with a criminal record might be precluded from employment within these areas.
The curriculum below is for incoming students:
Program Physical Demands Analysis
Program Vocational Learning Outcomes
Protection, Security and Investigation (Ontario College Diploma) (MTCU Code 53007)
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Work in compliance with established standards and relevant legislation in the protection, security and investigation fields.
- Make decisions in a timely, effective and legally defensible manner to uphold protection and security.
- Carry out delegated duties and responsibilities in compliance with organizational policies and procedures.
- Act equitably and justly with diverse populations.
- Work effectively as a member of a protection and security team.
- Prevent and resolve crisis, conflict and emergency situations by applying effective techniques.
- Conduct and/or contribute to investigations by collecting, preserving and presenting admissible evidence.
- Monitor, evaluate and accurately document behaviours, situations and events.
- Develop and implement ongoing effective strategies for personal and professional development.