2023 Graphic Design Grad Show
Our graduating class would like to invite you to Technicolour, the 2023 Graphic Design Grad Show.
This program will appeal to students who are emerging from visual/media arts backgrounds at the high school or post-secondary level, for mature students, and those who have a love of design and visual expression. Students display a passion for print and web design, package design, typography, motion graphics, photography and illustration. Students will develop the ability to visualize and express concepts based on the clients’ needs. This requires creativity and imagination while meeting tight deadlines.
- Six week internship in an industry environment.
- Traditional media and enhanced digital media training.
- All faculty are professional graphic designers, illustrators or multimedia artists.
- Graduation from this program provides the first step in professional accreditation as a Registered Graphic Designer (Association of Registered Graphic Designers of Ontario).
- Student-run Graphic Design Club.
- Graduate design exhibition in the community in year three.
- Program emphasizes creativity, originality and critical thinking.
Graduates can find entry-level positions including junior designer, prepress production artist and web designer. Opportunities exist in advertising agencies, graphic design studios, with printers or publishers, with newspapers and doing in-house design. There is also the potential for freelancing and contract work. With experience the designer can become an art director, creative director or production manager.
Why Choose This Program?
Design, Letterforms, Web pages, Motion Visuals and Illustrated Imagery pre-occupy you. Your computer is stuffed with multimedia applications and you have multiple Pinterest boards loaded with art inspiration. You are vetting graphic design schools in Ontario, seeking a solid introduction into the professional world of media. St. Clair's graphic design program offers a stimulating learning environment where you train with industry professionals.
Here at St Clair College, you will be immersed in all facets of the vocation, beginning with a comprehensive foundation in Design, honing your talent in Layout, Typography, Pre-Press Production, Illustration, Digital Photography and Copywriting. You will then embark on a robust study of Web Design and Motion Graphics, exploring the evolving aspects of UX Design and our interaction with the virtual world around us, culminating in intensive Agency courses spanning your final two semesters.
Our internship component allows you to gain real-world experience in your chosen area. At completion of the graphic design program, you have mastered one of the first steps on your way to professional accreditation with the Association of Registered Graphic Designers of Ontario.
Emerging from our graphic design program, you will see that opportunities are abound: designing for the web, freelancing as a graphic designer, thriving in the world of advertising, immersed in the publishing industry or working towards becoming an art director or production manager.
OSSD with the majority of courses at the College (C), University (U), University/College (M) or Open (O) level qualify for admission to this program.
Recommended: Minimum 1 Arts or Media Class.
Mature students - See Admission Procedures for details.
In addition to your OCAS application, you are required to submit samples of your art that you consider to be the best examples of your abilities.
The curriculum below is for incoming students:
|GRD111||Copywriting For Design I||2|
|GRD203||Studio Production I||3|
|GRD201||Design & Layout I||4|
|GRD222||History Of Design Art||3|
|GRD209||Copywriting For Design II||2|
|GRD302||Design & Layout II||4|
|GRD303||Studio Production II||3|
|GRD311||Web & Multimedia I||4|
|LSW100G||Literature: Short Exposition||3|
|GRD407||Design & Layout III||4|
|GRD403||Studio Production III||3|
|GRD423||Web & Multimedia II||4|
|GRD401||Intro To Motion Graphics||3|
|GRD509||Web & Multimedia III||4|
|GRD508||Digital Photography II||2|
|GRD501||Motion And Interactive Design I||3|
|GRD518||Design Agency I||6|
|GRD516||Business Of Graphic Design||2|
|ELEC1030||Choose 1 Elective Course||3|
|GRD603||Motion And Interactive Design II||2|
|ELEC1030||Choose 1 Elective Course||3|
|GRD618||Design Agency II||4|
|GRD619||Web & Multimedia IV||2|
Program Physical Demands Analysis
Program Vocational Learning Outcomes
Graphic Design (Ontario Advanced College Diploma) (MTCU Code 61820)
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Conceptualize and develop design solutions using principles of design to create visual communications that meet the needs of the project.
- Employ the design process to create design solutions that meet the project objectives and the needs of the client and/or user.
- Plan, create and use photography, illustration and typography in design layouts to meet the requirements of the creative brief.
- Design, develop and create a variety of media products using relevant, current and/or emerging technologies.
- Communicate ideas, design concepts and opinions clearly and persuasively to others.
- Use recognized industry practices throughout the design process and related business tasks.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate graphic design projects using project management skills to deliver quality work to clients according to schedule and within budget.
- Complete all work in a professional and ethical manner, and in accordance with all applicable legislation and regulations.
- Keep current with visual media design trends, technologies and industry practices using strategies that enhance work performance and guide professional development.
- Portfolio Guidelines and Requirements
- Camera Requirements
- Student identity projects done by 2nd-year students in Adobe After Effects:
- REVIVE 2021, a virtual exhibit of the 2021 graduating class.
- Imprint 2022, a virtual exhibit of the 2022 graduating class.
- Technicolour 2023, a virtual exhibit of the 2023 graduating class.