The Construction Project Management (CPM) program will teach students how to plan, budget, manage, and supervise a broad range of construction projects within the residential, industrial, commercial, institutional, and civil infrastructure sectors of the construction industry. As a graduate certificate, the CPM program builds upon previous learning with a strong focus on construction law and contracts, ethical practices, human resource management, as well as planning and scheduling, estimating, quality assurance, cost control, sustainability, and accounting.
Graduates will be prepared to join multidisciplinary teams in the construction industry in a variety of management positions, such as project manager, project communications manager, project coordinator, site supervisor, project superintendent, construction manager, site superintendent, and construction operations manager.
Ontario College Diploma, Ontario College Advanced Diploma, Degree in Construction, Civil Engineering, Architecture or related field, or equivalent, from a recognized college OR University OR demonstrated competence through related work.
The curriculum below is for incoming students:
Program Physical Demands Analysis
Program Vocational Learning Outcomes
Construction Project Management (Ontario College Graduate Certificate)
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Develop and use strategies to promote continuous professional learning in the construction industry
- Monitor and support workplace health and safety practices and procedures which are compliant with current legislation and regulations
- Assess construction project* operations for compliance with contractual obligations, applicable laws, standards, bylaws, codes and ethical practices in construction methodology
- Analyze and monitor construction processes to ensure that sustainability practices* are implemented in accordance with contract documents, industry standards and environmental legislative requirements
- Establish and manage relationships among diverse project stakeholders* to achieve construction project* goals
- Manage the production, storage, retrieval and communication of project-related digital documents according to best practices, to meet construction project* deadlines and goals
- Perform a feasibility study to inform decisions in the planning phase of a construction project
- Schedule, manage and evaluate the progression of construction projects* by applying the principles, practices and tools of construction project management* to complete projects on time and within budget
- Prepare estimates and manage procurement processes to control costs in accordance with best practices in construction project management
- Develop and oversee quality assurance and control* processes involved in the completion of construction projects* to meet project specifications and industry quality standards
- Analyze and manage project risks to mitigate their impact throughout the construction project lifecycle
- Formulate human resource management strategies to optimize personnel requirements for construction project* completion
- Build and lead multidisciplinary teams throughout the construction project lifecycle* to accomplish construction project* goals