Do you dream in 3D or doodle characters for video games or cartoons? If so, you are a budding animator, and St. Clair College’s Animation 2D/3D program is the right choice for you! This program will give you the skills, discipline and confidence you need to become a sought-after animation artist. Students learn a blend of traditional techniques with the use of cutting-edge industry software. Graduates are able to animate and bring artwork to life through designing and animating characters and environments for traditional 2D and 3D projects for a variety of mediums including television, film and video games. Students also learn to become proficient with digital image manipulation, digital video editing, compositing and file management.
- Active student-run Animation Club, which allows students to further practice their animation skills and abilities collaboratively with their classmates.
- Public presentation of animation films showcasing professional work produced by third-year students.
- Emerge with a professional portfolio and demo reel that will open the door to work in 2D or 3D animation in the film and television industries, the world of gaming and the web.
- Strong emphasis on using traditional techniques to enhance production of digital art.
- Close connection with industry professionals for keeping curriculum current and relevant.
- Training on the latest industry standard software in the animation industry.
There are job opportunities creating both 2D and 3D animation, models, textures and other assets for feature films, television productions, video games and the web. Skills learned in this program could also be applied to finding work in character design, storyboarding or as concept artists.
Why Choose This Program?
Do you dream in 3D? Always imagining new characters for video games or cartoons? Are your doodles and drawings ready to jump off the page and spring to life? You are a budding animator. St. Clair College's animation program will give you the skills, discipline and confidence you need to become a sought-after animation artist.
If you are thinking about animation colleges in Ontario, then look no further. We blend traditional techniques with cutting-edge industry software to develop the next generation of animation artists.
The three-year Advanced Diploma begins with a solid base: Life Drawing, Film Theory, Animation History & Fundamentals. Students continue laying the foundations of their skills with studies in Concept Development & Layout, Character and Background. As the fundamentals build, so doses the excitement as you move into Digital Media (Image manipulation and video editing), Computer Animation, Compositing, Experimental Animation, Modeling, Lighting & Rendering and beyond! Our supportive environment ensures that each student receives individual attention.
Emerge with a professional portfolio and demo reel that will open the door to work in 2D or 3D animation in the film and television industries, the world of gaming and the web. This program will have your characters and their worlds flourish as you animate yourself into success!
OSSD with the majority of courses at the College (C), University (U), University/College (M) or Open (O) level qualify for admission to this program.
Mature students - See Admission Procedures for details.
In addition to your OCAS application, you will be required to complete and submit an Art Test.
The specifics of the art test, including the "given character", will be included in the acknowledgement letter that you will receive after your application is processed through ontariocolleges.ca.
The curriculum below is for incoming students:
Program Physical Demands Analysis
Program Vocational Learning Outcomes
Animation 2D/3D (Ontario College Advanced Diploma) (MTCU Code 61901)
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Design, create and animate objects and characters with naturalistic and expressive movements and poses.
- Design and create hand-drawn and/or computer-generated drawings using principles of art, design and composition.
- Select and use appropriate tools and technologies for the development of animation projects.
- Contribute to the planning, implementation and evaluation of animation projects.
- Plan, develop and execute a series of effective and believable animation sequences.
- Create and enhance the production of animation sequences and projects using a variety of principles and techniques related to cinematography and art direction.
- Use storytelling skills to create and enhance the development and execution of animation sequences.
- Use performance theory and skills to create and enhance animation.
- Design and produce layouts using perspective, composition and colour theory to enhance visual presentation and mood.
- Present and defend a visual concept to a target audience.
- Use computer skills and appropriate digital asset management techniques to function effectively within a production pipeline.
- Develop, assemble and present a demo reel or portfolio in a manner that meets current industry expectations, and highlights one’s creativity, skills and proficiency with relevant animation software and related technologies.