St. Clair College Pool Rules
- No person infected with a communicable disease or having open sores on their body shall enter the pool.
- No person shall bring a glass container onto the pool deck or into the pool.
- No person shall pollute the pool water in any way. Spitting, spouting of water and nose blowing are prohibited in the pool, or on the pool deck.
- No person shall engage in boisterous play in or about the pool.
- The maximum amount of bathers in or about the pool deck at any time is 250 persons.
- The emergency phone is located next to the pool office door.
- Floors are slippery when wet. Please walk.
- Bare feet or indoor shoes only are permitted on the pool deck or in the shower areas.
- All patrons are required to shower with warm water and soap and rinse thoroughly prior to entering the pool.
- No diving in the shallow end.
- Lifejackets, noodles and kickboards are not permitted in the deep end during recreational swims.
- Photos and Videos may be taken of your child only from the pool deck. Photos and Videos are not permitted from the viewing gallery. Please avoid capturing others who may not consent to their photo/video being taken.
- Proper swimwear must be worn in the pool at all times. Bathing attire must be intended for water use. Cloth or regular diapers are not permitted in the pool. All individuals who are not toilet trained are asked to wear a swim diaper.
- Floatation devices that are not approved by the Department of Transportation (ex. Water wings, puddle jumpers) are not permitted in the pool. Lifejackets are available for use upon request.
- Spectators are not permitted to sit on the North Bench. Please be seated along the other 3 available deck benches, or in the viewing gallery.
- Swimmers must obey Pool Staff instructions at all times.
Children under the age of 10 must be supervised in the pool facility by a responsible person who is at least 16 years of age at all times.
Children under the age of 7, MUST be supervised by a responsible adult who is 16 years of age or older and will remain “Within Arm’s Reach AND In the Water”. One adult, age 16 years or older may supervise up to 3 children. This ratio may be increased to 1:8 if all children in their care are wearing lifejackets.
To Swim Unaccompanied:
- Children must be 7 years of age or older.
- Children must also be able to prove swim proficiency by swimming 15 meters followed by treading water for 45 seconds.
Children 7-16 years old who cannot complete the swim test, will not be permitted to swim unaccompanied.
Diving Board Rules
- No Preschool classes are allowed on the diving board. Users must be in Swim Kids 4 (RC), Dolphin (YMCA), Swimmer 3 (LSS) and at least 6 years of age.
- Must be able to pass the facility swim test prior to using the diving board. ( 15m swim + 45 sec tread)
- Bare feet only on board. (No sandals)
- No running on the diving board.
- Only 1 approach and 1 bounce are allowed on the diving board.
- Front, forward jumps only. Please jump straight out from the board.
- Swim to the wall immediately after jumping and exit the pool by the nearest ladder.
- Only one person may be on the board at one time. The next person in line must wait on the deck, not on the steps or on board.
- No hanging from the diving board.
- The fulcrum, which is the device used to adjust the spring of the board, has been preset and may not be adjusted during recreational diving.
- The Deep area of the pool is closed for swimming while the diving board is open.
- The diving board will be open only at the Lifeguard(s) discretion.
- Direct Supervision is required by the Lifeguard(s) at all times.
Lap Swim Policy
The following Lap Swimming policy has been developed by the Lifeguard staff to accommodate all lap swimmers and ensure swimmer safety.
- Lanes are for adult and child swimmers who are swimming continuous lengths.
- Patrons who have a membership, are required to show their card/receipt to the lifeguards at each swim.
- Please swim in the appropriate speed lane.
- Lane lines are designed to separate lanes. Please do not hang on or abuse them in any way.
- Please enter the pool feet first at either end of the pool. No diving in the lanes.
- When there is more than 1 swimmer in the lane, swimmers are to swim in a circular counter-clockwise pattern within the lanes.
- If you are being passed, please switch to the appropriate speed lane.
- Kickboards and pull buoys may be used in the lanes during lap swims.
- Please obey Lifeguard(s) at all times.
Change Room Policy
For all Public, Staff and Students visiting St. Clair College
- These changing rooms are shared with all patrons using the Pool, gym and squash courts.
- Children ages 7 years old and up are required to use their gender appropriate changing room.
- A Family change room is available for your convenience.
- Use of cameras and video recording devices are strictly prohibited in the changing and showering areas.
- Our Pool Viewing Gallery is available on our second floor to give optimal observance of your child’s swim lessons.
Additional Pool Information
Please proceed through the changerooms to the pool deck. Payments for pool usage can be made at Lifeguard office.
Patrons with memberships to our Aquafit, Lap & Recreational swims are required to show proof at each visit. Please present your card or receipt to our lifeguard staff upon arriving on the pool deck.
All patrons are required to shower with warm water and soap and rinse thoroughly prior to entering or re-entering the pool.
Change Room Policy
Children ages 7 years and older must use their gender appropriate changing rooms. A family change room is also available for your convenience.
Proper swim attire is required at all times – bathing suit/swim trunks only. Clothing is not permitted. Cloth or regular diapers are not permitted in the pool. Bare feet, or indoor shoes only on the pool deck.
Photos and videos are strictly prohibited in the change rooms at all times. Photos/videos of your child may be taken from the pool deck only. No photos/videos are permitted to be taken from the viewing gallery.
Lost or Stolen Items
St. Clair College is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Lockers are available free of charge. Bring a lock and protect your valuables. Lockers may not be used for storage overnight.
Floors are slippery when wet. Please walk carefully.
Food or drink is not permitted in the change room or on the pool deck. Water is acceptable.
In Case of Emergency
Please notify pool staff immediately in case of an emergency. Phones are available in change rooms for a report as well. One long whistle requires all patrons to clear the pool immediately.