This program provides the student with a solid foundation in areas closely connected to the construction and renovation industry. The variety of skills acquired in this program will enable the graduate to be a valuable asset to any contractor. These skills include framing, roofing, siding, flooring, drywall, window and door installation, decks and outdoor structures.
- Lab work is conducted in our Centre for Construction Innovation and Production.
- A number of build projects give you hands-on experience.
- Students have the opportunity to get involved in skills competitions.
Opportunities exist in the general carpentry trade including contractors, construction and renovation companies.
OSSD with the majority of courses at the College (C), University (U), University/College (M) or Open (O) level qualify for admissions into this program.
Mature students - See Admission Procedures for details.
The curriculum below is for incoming students:
Program Vocational Learning Outcomes
Renovation Techniques (Ontario College Certificate) (MTCU Code 47600)
The successful completion of this program will enable the graduate to:
- Identify and use strategies to enhance work performance and continued learning to keep pace with industry changes
- Identify and adhere to established health and safety practices that apply to specific job sites, in accordance with current legislation and regulations.
- Perform building construction and renovation tasks in compliance with contracts, the Ontario and/or National Building Codes, applicable laws and industry’s ethical practices.
- Work in accordance with established sustainability practices*.
- Communicate and collaborate with diverse clients, supervisors and tradespersons to complete projects on time and to maintain effective working relationships.
- Assist with maintaining accurate project documents and use computer technologies to support building construction and renovation projects*.
- Solve on-site trade-related building and renovation problems by applying principles of basic technical mathematics* and building science*.
- Select, maintain and safely operate hand tools, and portable and stationary power tools, to efficiently complete building construction and renovation tasks.
- Assist with the completion of building and renovation stages, from site layout and footings to the application of interior and exterior finishes, according to specifications.
- Assist in the preparation of material estimations according to building construction and renovation project* documents.